Thursday, August 6, 2009

Paris, Amsterdam and back to England with Timothy

Before I Begin this Post...


I thought I would let you eager blog readers in on some changes to my itinerary. After some serious thought, I have decided to trim down my trip by two months, mostly for financial reasons, and will now be coming home in time for Christmas (and my 27th birthday!). Instead of spending two months in India and two months in Southeast Asia, I am now spending just one month in each place. For those of you on my original email list, I will soon create an update to my itinerary and the corresponding contact addresses. I look forward to keeping you informed on my blog wherever I go!


And on an even more personal note, I would like to give thanks for my nearly 4 year relationship with Robert Strube, which he decided to end while I was in Paris. I won't lie by saying this hasn't affected me or pained me during my travels, but being in new places to explore, with kind people to take care of me, has certainly kept me occupied and positive. I will always cherish the time we had together and remain grateful for his family's hospitality while I am staying with them in Germany.


Happy reading and thanks for tuning in!

***

Bonjour Croissant! Paris, France avec Timothy


Holly on the steps of the Sacre Coeur Cathedral, with a hazy view of Paris in the background.


Sacre Coeur Cathedral, Paris, France. The area surruonding this church is known as Montmartre and is known for being the artists' quarter, with cafes and shops on the hill overlooking Paris.


The famous Moulin Rouge (Red Windmill), just down the street from our hotel in Paris.

The glass pyramids of the Louvre Museum, showcasing some of the world's most famous art and sculpture, including the Mona Lisa. Paris, France.

Such struggles of love and humanity are common at the Louvre in Paris.

Holly with the Gnome and the Snail, a notable wee statue at the Louvre. Why it's notable, we could not figure out...

Ah, Paris... the River Seine.
Holly and the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France.

We had to recreate some of the movie Amelie while in Paris, such as cracking the creme brulee with such satisfaction! Timothy and I had an amazing meal at this cozy, authentic French restaurant in Paris.

One of the beautiful stained glass windows of Notre Dame Cathedral, with rows of prayerful votive candles in the foreground. Paris, France.

Timothy just can't get enough of that Bastille--the place where the French Revolution really culminated in Paris, France.

On a boat tour of the River Seine, which runs through Paris and creates the Ile de la Cite, where Notre Dame Cathedral attracts many visitors in the background.

Timothy and me totally schooling the Eiffel Tour--word! (or as the French say: mot!)

A lovely rainbow, or 'arc-en-ciel' as the French say, viewed atop the Eiffel Tour in Paris, France.
Timothy and me on the Eiffel Tour, with a blurred sunset in the background just after a huge storm. Paris, France.


Marie Antoinette created a residence for herself at Versailles Palace, which featured a farm 'as the peasants lived' shown here. Clearly, this woman would not have her cake and eat it, too, as she would be beheaded in front of the very peasants she naively pretended to be whilst on the Palace grounds...


Timothy walking amongst the sprawling gardens and former hunting grounds of King Louis XIV at Versailles Palace, France. A day or two after we visited Versailles, the French President Nicholas Sarkosy reportedly fainted during a jog on the grounds.


White statues contrast the exposed white bark of the sycamore grove in the gardens at Versailles Palace, France.

Versailles Palace, France.


The Hall of Mirrors, where the Treaty of Versailles was signed, ending WWII in 1945. France.


The G-rated photos of Amsterdam, Netherlands


We are...no, not Penn State. We are...gay pride Amsterdam!
The Homomonument in Amsterdam, in memory of all the gays and lesbians targeted and persecuted in WWII and throughout the world over time and presently. The Homomonument is made up of three pink granite triangles, one representing the past, one for the present, and one for the future. The triangle pictured here drops as a dock into the water of a canal, and it is here where people leave flowers in memory of loved ones affected by homophobia. So moving, definitely one of the highlights of Amsterdam.
Typical view of Amsterdam, with bike racks galore and a great cafe scene.
So many bikes in Amsterdam! They have bike highways which make motoring through the city quite speedy.
Tiny gardens growing along this red brick side street in Amsterdam.
Tulip bulb market in Amsterdam.

One of the many tree-lined canals of Amsterdam.
Another stunning canal with yet another church. The city can become quite a labyrinth as it's flat and everywhere you turn there is a canal and a church, so those are not the best landmarks to guide you!
Tram tracks and bicycle tires are not always the best of friends...but they certainly coexist in this extremely transport-savvy city.

Sleep tight Holly and Timothy... Our hostel (in the middle of the Red Light District, yikes) was movie themed and our room featured one of Timothy's favorite films: Taxi Driver. I have never seen it, but apparently it's not exactly a feel-good flick, as you may rightly guess from this blown up image of Robert DeNiro and his gun covering the entire wall of our room. Everything else in the room was painted black and yellow like a taxi. Charming...I guess.

Peace begins with public transport!

The main square in Amsterdam.
A very daytime, G-rated photo of the Red Light District, with a shop on the left called the 'I Love You Shop'. How sweet.

Back to England to Say 'Cheerio Tim!'
I was sad to say goodbye to my brother after being together for 3 weeks and enjoying some of the big sights of the UK and Europe. You will be missed, hermano!
My friends Lisa and Barbara in front of the British National Theatre, where we saw a play called 'Three Sleepless Nights'.
Hanging out on the Southbank of the Thames, watching the bikers assemble for the monthly Critical Mass, where bicycles take over the streets with their numbers!
Barbara and Lisa enjoying a post-theatre pint of Sherlock Holmes Ale at the Sherlock Holmes Pub in London.
Big Ben and Westminster Parliament by night, reflecting off the Thames River.

A mighty Robin Hood forest in England.

St. Mary's Lake in Surrey, England. Mike and I went on a nice walk here.

Mike picking wild blackberries--YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment