Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Addicted to Deutschland...

Seriously, I think I have an addiction to Germany and its supreme orderliness, not to mention the breakfasts and the landscape! Some plans fell through, so I decided to stay longer in Germany. Poor me...

Danke shön to everyone who has hosted me over the past two weeks (Widmayers, Hemmerichs times two in more ways than one, and Alex and Natascha). I love you guys!


I have taken the train to all of my destinations with a special Eurail/Britrail train pass (okay, I took ferries between England, France, and the Netherlands). I really enjoy the peace of riding the train: listening to music and reflecting on where I have just been, as well as preparing for where I am headed next... Traveling by train is efficient and sustainable, and I would hope that the United States could see this as a way to prepare for the end of oil and the beginning of a much better way to get around by expanding our rail lines throughout the country and in suburbia.


Schaffhausen, Switzerland with the Widmayers


Sonja, me and Klaus at the train station in Schaffhausen. Aren't they gorgeous?


A distant photo of the Rheinfall, Europe's far less tackier equivalent to Niagara Falls.

An ornately painted building in Schaffhausen. Like with so many of my photos, this just doesn't do the artwork justice...


Klaus, me and Sonja enjoying an Italian meal in Schaffhausen. They were so embarrassed to ask the waiter to take the picture, I can almost feel the heat of their smiling faces when looking at this! Typical American, I made them do it against their will, a real nice way to treat your hosts...


Riegel, Germany (close to Freiburg) with Andy, Valentina and Max Hemmerich


Andy and I taking a photo shoot break while biking through the vineyards of Riegel.


Beautiful building and cute little cars on a Sunday drive through Emmendingen, one of the places where Andy and I biked.


Ho Mo's Chicken Ranch? Only goats from what I could see...so random! I spotted this on our bike ride back to Riegel.


Agrarian landscape on the edge of the Black Forest during our bike ride to the pool with little Max.


Rows and rows of red grapes for the local wine making. Not pictured are the rows and rows of white grapes and asparagus!


Andy, Valentina and little Max making spätzle in the kitchen of their spacious apartment in Reigel. Andy is such an amazing cook!


Lake Konstanz (the Bodensee), Germany


Sunset on the harbor in Friedrichshafen.


Sunset on the harbor in Friedrichshafen.


A sunny day on the water of Lake Konstanz. Thanks to Annette Lehmberg for buying me this new hat to protect my face from the cruel, cruel sun.


Another quiet sunset on Lake Konstanz.


A photo shoot featuring the Seabob, a motorized toy that propels you through the water.


Life is good, rocking out to music on the beach!


Olten, Switzerland


The sun dips below the trees along the Aare River.


Aare River, where I enjoyed the view of the Jura mountains and the sandy river beach.



The Swiss rely on nuclear and hydo power for their electricity needs. Not far from here, we could see a nuclear power plant. I didn't spot any one-eyed fish in the river...


Little mushroom elf: are you trying to hide from me?


Back in Stuttgart, Germany (I just can't get enough of this place!)


Back at Palast, where we welcomed Toby (far right) home from the USA two weeks prior to this night out. Matthias is on the left and Stephanie is in the middle. Güte Zeiten in Stuttgart...


Prost!


Matthias, me and Stefan trying our best at the Irish pub quiz night in Böblingen. Crazy to be surrounded by English in the middle of a German city!

No comments:

Post a Comment